Thursday 3 November 2011

PROF. BADE ONIMODE TENTH YEAR MEMORIAL COLLOQUIUM

Dear Compatriot,

INVITATION TO A COLLOQIUIM IN MEMORY OF LATE
PROFESSOR BADE ONIMODE

On behalf of the late Prof. Bade Onimode Tenth Memorial Colloquium Committee, we bring you greetings and best wishes.

You will recall that the late Professor of Economics who was once the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academics) of the University of Ibadan as well as a member of the Board of the London-based Institute For African Alternatives (IFAA), among several other national and international commitments as a progressive economist, social crusader, prolific author etc, died 0n 28th November 2001 at the National Hospital, Abuja after a very brief illness.

A group of activists, former students of the late professor, admirers, and former colleagues came together under this platform to organise a befitting international colloquium in honour of the late professor as follows:

Date: 10th December 2011
Venue: Confluence Beach Hotel, Lokoja, Kogi State.
Time: 9am prompt.

We humbly invite you as Special Guest at the Colloquium.

Please, once again, accept our best wishes and compliments.

Yours sincerely,



Dr. Remi Medupin                                                                                                                     Denja Yaqub
Coordinator                                                                                                                              Secretary

1 comment:

  1. This is indeed a good efort. But I expected the progressives to have swung into action before the tenth anniversary of Prof Bade Onimode. I read him widely while writing my B.Sc. dissertation in 2001, then in the University of Ado-Ekiti. I fell so much in love with Onimode's writings that I decided to visit him in UI early January 2002. On my arrival, I got a shock of my life: then he had bowed out of this evil world. But I later decided to pursue a second degree in UI. Quite unfortunately, it was indeed disappointing that no lecture organised in Onimode's honour all the period I spent in the premier university. The UI Department of Economics has not done so well in this area. But I hope things will change soon. While I appreciate the effort of this group, I hope the group will be able to sustain it by organising an annual colloquium not just in honour of one of Africa's greatest political economists, but mainly to promote progressive intellectualism and competitively robust discorse, especially among Nigeria's upcoming scholars.

    ReplyDelete